Date(s) - 17/10/2017
7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Parliament on King
Categories No Categories
A weekly open gathering, for all of you who are interested in improving our democracy, looking for a place which is convivial, enjoyable and useful in developing your understanding of politics, and your own political power, facilitated by myself.
I’ll be talking about my own ideas briefly as part of the evening, but mostly tonight is about your perspective, and finding out about each other’s stories.
My facilitation is based on four major aspects and influences:
• My experience in teaching improvised partner dance; observing the paths and challenges of attendees, and assisting them in their journey to discover their own way of moving through the world.
• My training in Non Violent Communication, a practice which seeks to train people in communication honestly, clearly and with great skill and understanding around human’s needs and the divergent expression of those needs
• My observations of normal political meetings, which are fraught with boring rigidity, alternate agendas, factionalism and unaddressed, obstructive pain.
• My own personal hope for a better politics, encapsulated in my Better Democracy Charter:
Some guiding principles of the evening:
• Many simply want to be heard by others, so there will be a focus on dialogues rather than group discussion, to maximise the time spent with someone speaking, and someone hearing.
• This setup will likewise try to avoid as much as possible attendees feeling compelled to listen to someone they don’t want to.
• That our politics/our current world is hazardous and trauma inducing.
• Creating connections between attendees, for support and for political action.
• Informing attendees of opportunities for political action eg. Other groups, upcoming rallies etc.
• Recognition and celebration of common ground, and on the flipside curiosity, clarity and greater understanding of where there is disagreement, as well as the ability to hold differing perspectives
• Openness to input and critique on my part from attendees
Entry is free, with some wine and snacks available for purchase.
You’re welcome to arrive at any time throughout the evening.